Suncor Community Leisure Centre Map
ABOUT MACDONALD ISLAND PARK
MacDonald Island Park is Canada’s largest community recreational, leisure, and social centre. Home to the Suncor Community Leisure Centre and the Miskanaw Golf Club, MacDonald Island Park operates under the umbrella of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo through the Regional Recreation Corporation of Wood Buffalo (RRC). After an extensive renovation in the latter part of the last decade, the modern version of MacDonald Island Park opened in October, 2009, and has become the heart of the community it serves. Both the indoor and outdoor recreational facilities located on the Island are managed by a team of dedicated recreation professionals. ‘Mac Island’, as it is known locally, has evolved as the foremost venue for major events, exhibitions and recreation in Northern Alberta. The evolution continues with the Shell Place expansion, a 127 million-dollar community-led project officially opened in June, 2015 that added SMS Equipment Stadium (an outdoor performance stadium), a Baseball Stadium, badminton centre, non-profit shared space, and more to an already vibrant and energetic recreational experience.
SUNCOR COMMUNITY LEISURE CENTRE
The 450,000 sq. ft. Suncor Community Leisure Centre has welcomed over two million visitors since opening in October, 2009.
Features include :
· The Syncrude Aquatic Centre
· Four ice surfaces, including the NHL-sized CNRL Arena 2
· Two multi-purpose field houses, including Nexen Energy Field House
· Eight-sheet curling rink
· Climbing Wall
· Squash and racquetball courts
· The 15,000-sq. ft. Total Fitness Centre
· Fitness and dance studios
· MI Dance Academy
· The Fort McKay Group of Companies 240m Indoor Running Track
· SMS Equipment Indoor Playground and Child Mind Your Island Playground
· MacDonald Island Community Art Gallery presented by Kirschner Family Corporation
· MacDonald Island Legacy Wall presented by McMurray Law Office
· Fort McMurray Public Library
MISKANAW GOLF CLUB
Considered among the top 1% of public, municipal golf clubs in Canada, Miskanaw Golf Club is home to the 240- acre, 18-hole Miskanaw Golf Course, a driving range, the full-service Fox Den Lounge, the Sly Fox Pro Shop, and, during the winter months, the Indoor Golf Simulator.
Officially opened to the community in June, 2015, the Shell Place expansion project adds more opportunities for sport, recreation and event experiences at MacDonald Island Park. Included in Shell Place are:
- SMS Equipment Stadium, an outdoor sport and performance stadium, and the CNOOC Nexen Stage
- Baseball Stadium
- The Redpoll Centre (social profit shared space operated by anchor tenant the United Way of Fort McMurray)
- Indoor turf field house
- Badminton centre
- Conference and hospitality facilities including the Grand Ballroom and Diamond Ballroom
MORE THAN SPORTS AND RECREATION
MacDonald Island Park houses a full-spectrum hospitality department and is a premier venue for community and special events, major concerts, conferences, meetings, banquets, and trade shows. A strong history of event planning and hosting showcases the strength of a team of professionals and a facility dedicated to creating the premier community and recreational experience in Canada.