MacDonald Island Park introduces new parking strategies for trade shows
(Fort McMurray, AB, September 19, 2013) – MacDonald Island Park advises the community that in light of the success of recent trade show events new parking strategies have been put in place to ease congestion and facilitate parking for Suncor Community Leisure Centre and Miskanaw Golf Club members.
Oil Sands Trade Show & Conference, now the second largest event of its kind in Canada, brings significant traffic to the Suncor Community Leisure Centre and has proven extremely beneficial for the community, as any revenue generated contributes to MacDonald Island Park, a not-for-profit corporation, offering programs and services at affordable rates.
In recognition of this reality, MacDonald Island Park, in collaboration with trade show organizer dmg :: events and the Fort McMurray Hotel Group, is implementing new transportation and parking strategies to deliver a better experience for the community.
New parking strategies in place now include, but are not limited to:
· MacDonald Island Park commits to reserving 200 parking stalls for Suncor Community Leisure Centre and Miskanaw Golf Club members for four trade shows yearly: Fort McMurray Tourism Spring Show and Market, Fort McMurray Tourism Fall Show and Market, Fort McMurray Tourism Christmas Show and Market, and Oil Sands Trade Show & Conference. Suncor Community Leisure Centre and Miskanaw Golf Club members will be required to provide a valid ‘Mi Play Pass’ card or proof of Miskanaw Golf Club membership to access the reserved parking. Please note Suncor Community Leisure Centre and Miskanaw Golf Club members can still access the remainder of the parking lot, as always.
· dmg :: events, organizers of Oil Sands Trade Show & Conference, commits to limiting exhibitors to one parking pass for the 2014 Oil Sands Trade Show & Conference.
· Fort McMurray Hotel Group commits to allowing anyone travelling to MacDonald Island Park access to shuttle service from its hotels to MacDonald Island Park during Oil Sands Trade Show & Conference.
· MacDonald Island Park will endeavour to coordinate the annual maintenance shutdown of the Syncrude Aquatic Centre to coincide with the dates of Oil Sands Trade Show & Conference, thus limiting facility usage and its staffing component.
· MacDonald Island Park commits to requesting all non-essential staff to work from home during Oil Sands Trade Show & Conference to allow more parking availability for the community, including Suncor Community Leisure Centre and Miskanaw Golf Club members.
“We recognize the parking constraints that all users of MacDonald Island Park experienced during our event, and we are venturing to develop new shuttle opportunities and provide more diverse transportation options in the future,” said Bruce Carew, Event Director of Oil Sands Trade Show & Conference. “Among other solutions, we are also seeking a local partner who may be able to provide park-and-ride lots during this annual event.”
The growth of these events and ongoing Shell Place construction has necessitated new strategies be developed in order to meet the growing demands on parking at MacDonald Island Park.
“When members communicated recent parking issues we considered every comment and concern very carefully,” said Tim Reid, Chief Operating Officer at MacDonald Island Park. “Members are the backbone of our success, and we recognized the need to listen and respond in a way that best addresses the current reality we face. While we acknowledge this may not be perfect and may require refinement over time we believe it is a first step, and we encourage our members and the community to continue to provide feedback as we go forward.”
MacDonald Island Park will institute the first of these parking strategies on September 20-22 when the Fort McMurray Tourism Fall Show and Market takes place at the Suncor Community Leisure Centre. During this event, 200 parking stalls, which comprise over 20% of current parking available at MacDonald Island Park, will be reserved for Suncor Community Leisure Centre and Miskanaw Golf Club members, who will be asked to present a valid ‘Mi Play Pass’ membership or proof of Miskanaw Golf Club membership to security to access reserved parking.