Inaugural ONE Night gala celebrates partnerships in the Wood Buffalo region
More than $1.3 million in new partnerships were celebrated on the evening of October 25 at the Suncor Community Leisure Centre as the Regional Recreation Corporation of Wood Buffalo (RRC) held its inaugural ONE Night gala, the evolution of the annual event previously referred to as State of the Island.
Held in the Nexen Energy Field House and Nexen Energy Activity Field House, the evening was designed to acknowledge and celebrate key stakeholders and partners in the success of the RRC as it endeavours to meet a regional mandate to provide excellence in sport, recreation and event experiences across the Wood Buffalo region.
Key announcements during the event included Syncrude Canada’s title partnership of the inaugural Grand Slam of Curling Syncrude Elite 10, a new event for the Grand Slam of Curling 2014-15 year and taking place March 18-22, 2015 at the Suncor Community Leisure Centre. Other partners receiving a blue ‘ONE Team’ jacket as part of the new partnership announcements included:
- iSafety (Clubhouse at Shell Place)
- Christina River Enterprises (Running Track at Anzac Recreation Centre presented by Nexen Energy)
- Building Trades Alberta (Kick Hunger for Northern Kickoff presented by Shell)
- Remote Access Technology & Acuren ((Ropes Course and Baseball Suite at Shell Place)
- ConocoPhillips Canada (Youth Area at Anzac Recreation Centre presented by Nexen Energy)
- The CAT Rental Store (Rental Partner for Northern Kickoff presented by Shell)
- Royal Bank of Canada (Water Reclamation and Heat Recovery Project at Shell Place)
- Clean Harbors Energy and Industrial (Mi Kids)
- Centerfire Group (Centerfire Fitness Centre at Anzac Recreation Centre presented by Nexen Energy)
- Harvard Broadcasting Mix 103.7 & 100.5 Cruz (Northern Kickoff presented by Shell Albian Sands Media Partner)
- Fitness Mechanics(Fitness Studio, Golf Simulator, Driving Range and Conference Room at Suncor Community Leisure Centre, Miskanaw Golf Club and Shell Place)
- Nexen Energy, A CNOOC Limited Company (Anzac Recreation Centre presented by Nexen Energy)
Dignitaries in attendance included the Honourable Don Scott, Minister of Innovation and Advanced Education and Fort McMurray-Conklin MLA, Mike Allen, Fort McMurray-Wood Buffalo MLA, Her Worship Melissa Blake, Mayor of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo (RMWB) and several members of RMWB Council.
As part of the evening’s celebration Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo Mayor Melissa Blake introduced the new Regional Recreation Corporation of Wood Buffalo ONE Difference Award. The ONE Difference Award, the evolution of the MacDonald Island Park Walk of Honour, is an annual recognition of an individual in the Wood Buffalo region who has made a significant contribution to social, recreational or cultural life in the region. Respected and noted Métis elder Elsie Yanik, well known in the Wood Buffalo region for her mentorship and spiritual guidance, was the recipient of the 2014 ONE Difference Award as selected by the RRC Board of Directors.
Syncrude Canada Chief Executive Officer Mark Ward had the opportunity to announce the surprise musical guests for the evening. The Tenors, the Canadian powerhouse vocal quartet that has performed for Queen Elizabeth, appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show and shared the stage with the likes of Sarah McLachlan, Paul McCartney, Natalie Cole and many more, delighted the guests with a powerful performance, including an impromptu number with a member of the audience.
“As the RRC has evolved to embrace a new regional mandate so too has our annual celebration,” said Michael Cachia, Chair of the Board of Directors of the RRC. “This year we introduced the ONE Night gala, an evening to celebrate our partners and stakeholders, reminisce about the events of the last year and look ahead to the exciting future in the Wood Buffalo region. Thank you to all our partners for their ongoing support and for joining us on this evening for the inaugural ONE Night celebration, an evening certain to be remembered by all who attended.”